There are several ways you can pay your rent to HCHA and ensure that you keep up to date with your account.

You can pay by:

Direct Debit

Setting up a Direct Debit (DD) is very simple. Please contact your scheme manager or support worker who will hand you a DD form. Once you have completed the form, either hand it back to the scheme manager or send it off directly to the HCHA Head Office. We will then do the rest and we will write to you to confirm once it has been set up.

Standing Order

Standing Orders are set up by you directly with your bank, with no input from HCHA.


You can call your Scheme Manager, Support Worker, or the Finance Officer at HCHA Head Office during working hours (9-5 Monday to Friday) with your debit/credit card details on 0208 424 2776 . This service is provided by CardSave.


You can pay by sending a cheque or postal order to our Head Office address:

Please make cheques payable to HCHA

Write your full name, tenancy number and address on the back.

Send to:

HCHA Head Office
Ground floor
Ewart House
9 Richards Close

Using internet banking (payment online)

If you are already registered with us you can pay on-line by clicking here and logging in to your account. If you need to register, please contact us.

If you are in arrears please contact your scheme manager, or support worker, or the Finance Officer at HCHA Head Office, to discuss how you plan to clear your debt.